Arrest Linked to Time as Trade Envoy
Prince Andrew, also known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was taken into custody on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office connected to his period serving as the United Kingdom’s trade envoy. Authorities confirmed that officers carried out searches at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk while a man in his sixties remained in custody.
Investigators said it was vital to safeguard the integrity of the inquiry, noting the high level of public interest. They added that further updates would be issued when appropriate.
Unmarked police vehicles were spotted near Sandringham in Norfolk, where Andrew has been living since leaving his former residence in Windsor. He turned 66 on the day of his arrest.
Legal commentators explained that suspects are typically held for between 12 and 24 hours before being charged or released while inquiries continue. In rare cases, detention can be extended up to 96 hours with approval from senior officers and a magistrate. Former senior policing analyst Danny Shaw told the BBC that there would be no special arrangements in custody, describing the standard holding conditions as basic.
Emails and Financial Dealings Under Scrutiny
The arrest follows reports that Andrew may have shared sensitive documents with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein during his time in the trade role. According to the Financial Times, recently disclosed emails suggest Andrew discussed assisting with negotiations over a proposed $8 billion oil-related financial deal involving foreign entities. Some of the correspondence reportedly took place while Epstein was under house arrest following a 2008 conviction.
Royal historian Craig Prescott described the situation as one of the most dramatic reversals of fortune for a senior royal in recent decades.
Andrew has consistently denied wrongdoing and has not faced criminal charges related to Epstein.
Palace Response and Long-Running Controversy
Earlier this month, Thames Valley Police confirmed it was reviewing allegations tied to Andrew’s conduct in public office. The development prompted Charles III to express concern and state that Buckingham Palace stood ready to cooperate with authorities.
In October, Charles stripped Andrew of his royal titles and required him to leave Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate. The move came after years of mounting scrutiny over Andrew’s association with Epstein, including a widely criticized television interview in 2019.
In 2022, Andrew reached a financial settlement with Virginia Giuffre, who had accused him of sexual abuse when she was 17. While he did not admit liability, he acknowledged her suffering as a victim of trafficking. The settlement amount was not officially disclosed, though media estimates placed it in the millions of pounds.
Giuffre died by suicide in April at the age of 41 at her farm in Western Australia. Her memoir, Nobody’s Girl, was published posthumously in October.
